Merriam Animal Ordinances
- All dogs and cats six months or older must be licensed. Licenses are valid for one year and run concurrent with the dates of your rabies vaccination. License applications are available and must be filled out and returned along with proper licensing fee and a copy of the current rabies vaccination receipt from your veterinarian's office. For additional information on pet registration or license renewal, please call 913.322.5500.
- All dogs must be walked on a leash. This includes while in residential neighborhoods, City parks, on apartment common grounds, along public walking trails, etc.
- Animals may not be left unattended in vehicles for extended periods of time. The vehicle must be properly ventilated and the animal must have water.
- Dogs must be confined to the owner / keeper’s yard, unless the owner / keeper is outside, monitoring the animal on the property.
- Dogs that are maintained outdoors must have access to proper shelter, food, and water.
- It is unlawful for any person to fail to clean up after their animal, if the animal defecates on public property, or property owned by another person.
- Neighbors may sign citations for excessive barking, which is disturbing their peace.
- Per the city’s leash law, it is unlawful for any animal to run uncontrolled, or to disturb persons by chasing, charging, barking, growling, or biting. The leash law applies to cats, as well as dogs.
- Residents are not allowed to have more than two dogs or five cats. Anyone who desires to keep more than two dogs or five cats must complete a special application (reviewed by the Chief of Police). For additional information call 913.322.5500.
Failure to comply with these ordinances may result in a citation being issued. A complete list of Merriam's animal ordinances, can be found in chapter eight of Merriam's Municipal Code.
For further information regarding the City’s animal ordinances, contact the Merriam Police Department at 913.322.5560, or for questions regarding the licensing procedure contact the City Clerks’ Offices at 913.322.5500.